The student news site of Kennebunk High School

The Rampage

The Shee-Return

Sydney Richelieu, Editor

If you’ve been on some form of social media in the past few years, chances are, you know who Ed Sheeran is. The ginger, Suffolk-raised, English singer-songwriter rose to the top of the charts with his heartfelt lyrics and distinct, accent-boasting voice. His first album, +, sold particularly well in the United Kingdom, allowing for Sheeran to make a name for himself. It wasn’t until the singer joined pop star Taylor Swift on her constantly sold out Red tour that he really began to make waves in the United States, and there has been a flood of Sheeran madness ever since.

Following the release of his second album, X, Sheeran embarked on a hugely popular, widely sold out world tour. The singer’s pure talent and connection with his audience inspired loud, energetic, pulsing shows. Flanked by singer-songwriter Passenger, Sheeran was a force to be reckoned with. After the tour finale in December 2015, Sheeran announced a leave of absence, stating on December 13, 2015, that he would be taking time for himself and returning precisely on December 13, 2016. And return he did.

This past month, an illusive light blue square appeared as Sheeran’s new profile picture on all social media websites, sparking immediate excitement from his loyal fans. Soon, GIFs of a black, marker drawn division sign began to pop up around Sheeran’s social media, and within days, the singer announced the release of two singles on Friday, January 6th.

“Castle on the Hill” and “Shape Of You” immediately rose to the very top of iTunes charts, with “Shape of You” claiming the first spot on the charts, and “Castle on the Hill” ranking as number five. Though Sheeran grows musically with each album release, both songs are reminiscent of X in some way. “Castle on the Hill,” with its prominent guitar line and carefully written lyrics, sounds folky and distinctly Sheeran. The refrain, an upbeat melody with pulsing instrumentals, sounds rather like “Don’t,” an extremely popular single off of X. Likewise, “Shape of You,” a pop song with a club vibe, is reminiscent of “Sing” off of X.

Celebrities and Sheeran fans alike have been very receptive to the new releases, a theme that has been prominent with every Sheeran release. Says Pentatonix singer Scott Hoying, “it’s so refreshing to just INSTANTLY like an artist’s new release. Both of Ed Sheeran’s new songs are [fire].” Mimi Mackilligan, a senior here at KHS, also gushed about both songs, saying, “though I’m not necessarily a huge fan of Ed Sheeran, his new songs are fantastic!” Check out Sheeran’s music on iTunes!